Re: Race car movie

To: PVBMS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Race car movie
From: Clark <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:00:49 -0800
Hi Peter,

Lelouche did a wonderful job of planning his route beforehand (even though
he had to alter that route because of a garbage truck of some such
obstacle).  Considering it was all in one take, the thing that impresses me
most is how the camera's through-the-windshield framing is perfect at the
end when the woman appears in to view and he joins her.  I know from
experience that getting two people perfectly into frame on the first take
is difficult with a camera that is manned, much less one that is directed
by a 275 GTB.

Clark

>The most gripping car filming that I have seen is a short by Claude Lelouche
>("A man and a woman"), called "Rendezvous". It is a banzai run across Paris
>for an early morning assignation, so to speak. If it was staged, I am
>impressed. If it was on the fly, I don't respect it, but am glad they survived
>without lunching innocents.
>Peter Boyd

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html