(and more about commercials)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (and more about commercials)
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 12:54:49 -0500
FHammett wrote:

> The sponserships and commercializing  I see at the race don't trouble me.  It
> was that way when vintage wasn't vintage. IE when the original racing was
> going on. It is that way in racing everywhere and is part of the of the sport.

No Sir! The commercialization of sports car racing probably begins with
Roger Penske and Zerex and didn't hit big time till ten years later.
Look at the sports cars of the 50s and most of the 60s and you won't
find the paint hidden by sponsors decals.
Those of us who were there remember the sportsmen that made sports car
racing exciting: Cunningham, Colliers, Kimberly, Mecom, Hall, etc. Did
you know Cunningham dropped out as a manufacturer after five years
because the IRS sais no profits - no business- no writeoffs? Do you also
remember him winning the America's Cup?
I suppose it was Trans-Am and Can-AM that really brought sponsorship to
road racing, and those are the end of the time line for vintage.
--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm