Re: Promotion, Coverage

To: tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Promotion, Coverage
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:10:39 EST

<< Seems that the magazines only cover that group too! And usually the high
 dollar entries as well >>

As someone who sometimes contributes to Victory Lane magazine, and also gets
coverage on myself, let me shed some light on how this works.

Those who get covered are often the ones that either the writers/reporters
know about, or those who make some effort to get coverage.  This is often
those with high visibility.  That could be because of finishing position, or
personal wealth, but not always.  Many events include a driver bio form, which
most drivers ignore.  If the announcer and/or the press covering an event
don't know about you, how do you think you'll get mentioned?  Will they come
search you out???  Not likely...

If you want coverage (and some people don't), then I'd advise you create a
"media package" to provide to the track announcer(s) and a few extra copies in
case ESPN shows up (or at least whoever's there covering the event for the
club newsletter, magazines, or whatever).  Include a backgrounder on yourself
and your car, and include any particularly interesting stuff on either.  Also,
including an INTERESTING photo helps get you into the program, if one is
provided for the event.  I know many of you have seen my "Air Cortina" (2
wheels in the air) photo from the top of the Cyclone at Thunderhill.  It gets
published often, because a) people like to see action, and b) I hand out lots
of copies.  I always try to have some media packages with me at every event,
just in case.  I make it a point to give one to the track announcer, even if
they know me, as I often add new info to keep it interesting.

For event coverage and articles, the people who write up the races generally
just listen to the track announcer, and take notes during the race since they
can't see the whole track in most places anyway.  Then, later on, their notes
are combined with the official results forms, the program info, event photos,
and any other available info (media packages!), and written up into an
article.  So, the more you do to get coverage, even if you're not in a podium
position, is to your advantage.

Some final tips, combine the most pertinent and interesting info on a 3 X 5
card for the track announcer.  That way they don't have to search for info on
you.  Have your run group and car number in large type at the top.  And,
between races, if you have time to kill, wander into the announce
booth....they usually are hurting for material to help kill the time too, and
may consider interviewing you about your car, or your race.  All of the above
will help you get noticed more, if that's what you'd like.

That's how you get covered....

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (incognito?) Cortina Mk1 #128