Re: Promotion, etc

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>, Vintage Race <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Promotion, etc
From: Don Suiter <suiter@ares.csd.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:33:51 -0700
Jim,

Interesting notion!  Of course, that would be the drivers donating :-),
maybe matched by the club, too.  In my observation of the messages about
promotion and prizes in vintage racing, I see a large negative impact on our
sport.  Our sport is about preservation of the Vintage Race car and a certain
sytle of driving which involves the driver at 7/10s versus the 11/10s win at
any cost style.  My Alfa is a mid pack racer which could be driven at the
front, if I wanted to pump money out on a monthly basis, that is not much fun
from my perspective.  I like the idea of getting a full season of racing and
doing the things to the car which make it safe and reliable. Better to make
the driver better,  than the car faster which results in a faster car.

If we started going into the trophy/promotion mode, racing gets costly and
the fun leaves the sport.  They hard racing would be the two or three at the
front and the rest trying to catch up.  Of course, the winners would be the
mid pack racers who did not break :-).

Of course, some racing venues are only about the two or three in front.

Not for trophies, but for the love of the sound of my engine at race song and
feel of the car into a corner.

Don S...

Jim Hayes wrote:

> Jack W Drews wrote:
> > THEREFORE -- we it seems to me that we can gain advantages for the sport
> > by promotion of selected events but yet avoid the crash-and-burn
> > mentality if we continue to avoid awards.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I once suggested the following "awards"
>
> First place: Donate $100 to charity
> Second Place: Donate $50 to charity
> Third Place: Donate $25 to charity.

Don Suiter ACOC - webmaster (ACOC) - (ErEc,Ltd), http://www.donsuiter.com/
Vintage Race: RMVR #81 1967-Alfa GTjr, 54 Siam H-Mod
http://www.csd.net/~suiter/acoc.html - Alfa Club of Colorado website