RE: Australian Group R

To: "'nobozos@ix.netcom.com'" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Australian Group R
From: Andrew Pursey <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 15:17:42 +1100
John....

I guess the crunch point comes relative to the longevity of a particular =
category.  For example the Group C Touring Cars in Australia ran as a =
distinct category from 1973 to 1984 (overlapped with Group A Touring =
Cars in 1984).  This provides a clearly defined group of cars, and, all =
cars which seek to run as Group C must have a logbook proving that they =
are a genuine car from that period with a race history (no replicas, =
etc).

Under these circumstances it may be easier to roll these cars into =
Historics as a complete block, rather than taking (for example) a =
rolling 25-year rule.  I suppose that the critical thing here is whether =
or not there is an easy cut-off created by either changes in the rules =
at that time, or, significant changes in the technology at that time.  =
One of my concerns is that we don't lose cars that have a genuine racing =
history - in years to come the then current crop of vintage listers will =
curse us if we become so inflexible that a part of their history (as =
distinct from our current recognition) is lost.

BTW - Group C cars are not defined as Historic in the CAMS Historic 5th =
Category in Australia.  However, these cars run under CAMS rules and are =
often an invited category at Open Race Meetings where they are on the =
same programme as modern groups (but not racing together).

Not an easy topic and I don't envy the rule makers, but, it is a topic =
that requires vigilant attention otherwise the rule makers may try to =
avoid it as being "too hard".

Safe motorsport to all for 1998.

....regards...Andrew "Axeman" Pursey....1955 Morris Oxford (racing in =
Group Na pre'58 Classic Saloons), 1956 Morris Isis (almost a daily =
driver) and 1996 Saab 900S Coupe (quality worse than most LBCs and Saab =
attitude to customers worse than BL ever was back in the 70s - don't buy =
a Saab)....alternate email saabsux@hotmail.com