Re: San Francisco Vanderbilt cup 1915

To: <VEENET@aol.com>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: San Francisco Vanderbilt cup 1915
From: "Mark Ballard" <markballard@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:14:00 -0000
The only information I found is the following piece in 'Great American
Automobiles' by John Bentley

' The 1915 racing highlight was the last but one of the Vanderbuilt cups,
run off in March on the San Francisco Exposition Grounds.
Here  Eddie Pullen finished third behind Wilcox's Stutz and the winning
Peugeot of Dario Resta. The event was run over one of the worst courses ever
used for road racing in America. Despite the many dangers of this circuit,
Pullen was second only two laps from the finish when a loose gas tank forced
him to stop. The mishap cost him not only second but possibly also the race,
for at the time he was giving Resta a hard chase and was moving up
uncomfortably close.'
NB Pullen raced a Mercer