Re: Watkins Glen

To: Alfred Kobacker <alfred@ajkco.com>
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:43:58 -0500
My first ever vintage race was SVRA at Watkins Glenn - so perhaps that's why
I so want to go back.  I haven't raced with SVRA for 6 years now, and I
admit that I should revisit the decision, but...

I stopped because as a then tenter, with slow, small production car, open
trailer, etc., I felt quite ignored and second class.  Maybe that's changed,
if only because I now have the obligatory closed trailer/ 1997 Chev
Silverado combination that seems to add a little (not much, but a little) to
the paddock status game.

My first, and all subsequent HSR escapades, have been almost the definition
of how I like to be treated at an event.  Plus, I really like the variety of
cars that HSR gets, even if some of them are pretty new.  So the idea of
running the Glen with HSR just gets me going, somehow, in a way that SVRA at
the Glen doesn't.  BTW, My biggest collection of silverware came from the
Glen, when I put slicks on the Cooper S and entered a combined SCCA/CASC
regional race.  All the other Mini's that came entered in SCCA GT-5, while I
entered CASC GT-3, and turned out to be the ONLY GT-3 car.  I guess they
didn't want to carry the trophy's home, I got a plate or bowl for every
session I finished, and one I didn't!  Total of two plates, and two bowls,
all with First Place on them.  I keep candy and christmas cards in them.

Cheers, Brian