Re: Monterey car import problem

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Monterey car import problem
From: Jackson Zimmermann <jzimmerm%acva@mail.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:16:12 -0400
I would call some of the race organizers and see if they know of anyone
to help you (they have a vested interest in having a car such as yours at
the event).  If the car is for racing, it will not require an EPA test.
I'm sure that someone out there may have the legal expertise to help you
through this EPA nonsense.  Customs should also be able to get you in
touch with someone who may be able to help you.

The EPA homesite is at http://www.epa.gov/

Here are some EPA numbers in California that you can call:
General Public Inquiries                (415) 744-1500
 Regional Receptionist/Employee Locator (415) 744-1305

Some Washington D.C. phone numbers are:
EPA's Imports Hotline           (202) 233-9660

This is some info that I got off the Customs Services site (I WOULD CHECK
THIS SITE OUT) at:  http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp/car/car.htm

CARS IMPORTED FOR OTHER PURPOSES
Nonresidents may import an automobile or motorcycle and its usual
equipment free of duty for a temporary stay to take part in races or
other specific purposes. However, prior written approval from the EPA is
required and such approval is granted only to those racing vehicles that
EPA deems not capable of safe or practical use on streets and highways.
If the contests are for other than money purposes, the vehicle may be
admitted for 90 days without formal entry or bond if the Customs officer
is satisfied as to the importer's identity and good faith.  The vehicle
becomes subject to forfeiture if it is not exported or if a bond is not
given within 90 days of its importation. Prior authorization must be
obtained from DOT (Depatment of Transportation) if the vehicle does not
conform to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.

EXCEPTIONS
Those (vehicles) temporarily imported for research, demonstration, or
competition, provided they are not licensed for use, or driven, on public
roads. Parties responsible for such vehicles must submit proper
documents-that is, forms EPA 3520-1 and DOT HS-7 to Customs at the time
entry is made. Also, applicable written approvals from these agencies
must be obtained in advance and presented to Customs along with these
forms. Remember, the cost to return vehicles that have been refused prior
approval can be very high and must be borne by the vehicle's owner(s).

The Department of Transportation (DOT) also has a web site.  I believe
that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a
division of DOT, would have a hand in issuing the proper paperwork for
your car.

Vehicle Import Information (NHTSA)      202-366-5286

Good luck and let me know if any of this helped!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@mail.co.albemarle.va.us