Re: Monterey Historics

To: alfasun@esslink.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net, CLCSF@aol.com
Subject: Re: Monterey Historics
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 01:04:15 -0400 (EDT)

<< Anyway, I think Steve Earle is more than OK in my book. >>

Then you obviously haven't experienced the many unreturned phone calls, were
left in limbo about your entry to the last minute or never told AT ALL
whether you were accepted or rejected, or you were never told that you and/or
your car wasn't really welcome there but they HAD to let a few cars like
yours in to please the sponsors, and you must also ENJOY spending a LOT for
little track time.  You must also like collecting different kinds of TIRES,
so you can have your HMSA tires, and your tires for every other race.  And
God forbid you do something a little wrong (like Steve himself has done a
time or two)....

You're right.  The Monterey Historics are the Premier vintage racing
event....and its a shame that SOME of the racers get the kid gloves treatment
that you experienced while others aren't shown even the most basic common
courtesy.  I fully understand it's Steve's show, you play in his sandbox,
with his toys, by his rules.  HMSA is not a member run organization.  But I
agree with Don on this one, after being shunned by both Steve and Debbie for
no good reason, I have NO interest in further lining their pockets....I
refuse to even buy a ticket to spectate.....and I've attended the event for
many years in the past.

I may also sound like sour grapes, and there's certainly that possibility.
 However, the list of racers I know that have dissatisfaction with Steve and
his events is growing.  And the only way you can vote in that organization is
with your checkbook. (That's what makes this country great!)

So, when it does happen to you, don't say we didn't warn you.....

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (not good enough for Steve...but 3 time USRRC Seniors Tour Under
2.0 litre champion) Cortina Mk1 #128