tow vechile

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tow vechile
From: VEENET@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:20:20 -0400 (EDT)
   Speaking of ease of towing, I sometimes put my 66 Crusader formula Vee in
the back of my 72 Chevy half ton pick up.....It goes in backwards, sits down
on the floor of the bed with the front wheels on the tailgate and at freeway
speeds you don't even know it's there.....Often when I arrive at a track
someone who has not seen it before will ask how I got the rear wheels over
the wheel well boxes in the bed?.....The answer is that on that year Chevy
the wheel well boxes unbolt! They are not welded to the bed..I have all the
bolts removed and use two pins instead on each box. So when I want to load
up, I pull 4 pins, remove the boxes and roll the FV up ramps and into the
bed. Then I replace the boxes and pins, tie down the car and down the road I
go.....With the car (825lb) and the rest of my stuff I probably don't have
much more than a half ton...And I don't have to drive at 55mph  because I'm
not towing!.....Gas milage seems to be almost the same with or without the FV
in back......Since it is a bit more trouble to load into the truck I tend to
still use my trailer for short local trips, (ie Sears point , 40 minutes for
me) but if I'm going any distance the Vee goes IN the truck! ..Of course now
that I've got a friends Lotus 51 to drive none of this applies any
more.........Jerry Burr