Re: Racing a Special

To: clarksmith@earthlink.net (Clark Smith)
Subject: Re: Racing a Special
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:36:24 PST
Clark Smith wrote:
> For some time, I have been interested in restoring and racing a unique car
> with some actual, traceable racing history.  It will be necessary,
> financially, to buy some wreck out of some forgotten wherehouse and slowly
> piece the thing together.
> Well he called me with a unique special made by a somewhat successful race
> car designer and builder here on the West Coast, Jack Hagemann.  I've met
> Hagemann at various car events and he is wonderful, intelligent man.
>
> The car is a very light weight (est 800 pounds with engine) tube frame
> chassis with aluminum cycle fendered body.  The drive train used a Simca 8
> engine and transmission at about 1300 CCs and included some midget torsion
> bars, etc.  ...  I don't know what happened to this Hagemann Special
> after 1954.
> I have six pictures of the car in its current state.  Let me just say that
> it is difficult to visualize what this car should look like.  Its a mess.

That makes it a real tough proposition.

> This car is right hand drive.  How difficult is that to adapt to?
> Assuming I drive a left hand drive car daily, is there any hope that I
> ever will be any good at racing this car?

It's possible.  My car is a single seater, but the builder put the shift
on the left, like RHD.  I'm partly ambidextrous, which helps.  You can
practice sitting in a chair using a stick, or a small umbrella. For
formula cars, they recommend practicing with a salt shaker, because it's
all in the wrist.

> Can 1300ccs, even in an 800 pound chassis, ever give a thrill?

This is comparable to an early F3 or Formula Junior in power/weight.  It
should be a blast.  Formula Juniors came in 2 weights, 800 lbs and 1000
cc or 880 lbs and 1100 cc.  The F3's were 500cc, and I've seen a big guy
lift the front end of one up to drain all the leaking oil out of it.
;=)

> The car's designer has a respected history (he built 12 or so cars from
> scratch and heavily modified probably another 12 production cars) here in
> the West.  ...

There's a Hageman Jaguar special running locally that's real nice.

>... Is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?  No matter what I pay
> for this wreck, can it ever make financial sense?  Or, should I be so
> emotionally wrapped up in the prospect of owning it that money shouldn't be
> a consideration?

Don't even THINK about financial prospects.  Your only real financial
prospect on a car like this is for SPENDING money.  A race car is like a
boat.  You know, a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour
money?  A race car is a hole in the garage into which you pour money, or
as somebody else put it, a race car is a great way to turn money into
noise.  ;=)

> As far as Mille Miglia eligibility, I'd say slim to none- would you
> agree?  I should be welcome most anywhere in this country though, right?

Chances are pretty slim on that one.  The California Miglia may be more
approachable.  Most of the race groups around would welcome such a car.
Given enough variety of entries, you could be grouped with Jowett
Jupiters, MGTC's, perhaps OSCA's, Bandini's, Austin 7's, etc.  Is this
an H-Modified car?  There are a bunch of them running on the West coast.
CSRG gets a "reunion" of them at its Reno event.  We even run with real
hay bales!

> Usually when I struggle with a descision like this, it means that it's
> not a good fit.

This has to be a labor of love.  If you're not in love with the car,
don't do it.  If the price is right and you can bear sitting around
staring at the pieces for YEARS, go for it.  There is something to be
said for having a car that is totally unique, even if it's not capable
of running up front.  When I bought the Bourgeault Formula Junior, it
was love at first sight.  Sure, the car was basically ready to race, but
that doesn't mean I don't have to work on it.  I probably spend between
100-150 hours under the car for every hour IN the car.  ;=(