Re: Virginia International Raceway (VIR)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Virginia International Raceway (VIR)
From: Jackson Zimmermann <jzimmerm%acva@mail.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:36:47 -0500
I'm originally from the area around VIR, and I visited it a few years ago
(actually about 8 years ago).  It is not so easy to find.  It is in
Virginia, however there is no access road from VA.  It is in-between
Danville and South Boston, VA.  I don't have the directions, or a map
with me, but if you look at a good scale map, you will see an area of VA
that is inaccessible from the VA side of the border.  The Dan/Roanoke
(some maps call it the Dan which is correct for the area, some call it
the Roanoke which no one will know what you mean) river winds its way
around the border and cuts off this particular portion of VA making it
accessible via some back roads only from the NC side.  From what I have
been able to determine, the track was in use until ~1974, with the final
year being for a few karting events only.  The track was heavily damaged
in the '73 flood, it is right next to the river, and there was no way to
prevent another flood from taking it out again.  Therefore it was closed.

The track was owned 8 years ago by a rather prickly old farmer, who is
not particularly predisposed to anyone with an interest in the track or
getting a look at it.  The locals all know where it is and who owns it,
so stopping by country store will net you some specific directions, a
warning about the old farmer, and that the road to it has a locked gate
with no trespassing signs.  Lucky for me, the gate to the track was open
when I got there and I had to drive around it to get to the farmer on his
tractor who was doing some plowing.  He watched me very carefully as I
SLOWLY went around the circuit to where he was.  He was a little peeved
about being bothered, but so long as I left him alone, he let me slowly
take a circuit around the track.  I can tell you, safety has come a long
ways...  The track is very narrow and has some substantial trees in some
very dangerous places, not to mention the fairly deep ditches along the
side of the track.  Its still got a huge Dunlop Tire sign arcing over the
track, albeit a bit rusty now, and a few rusty grandstands are still
around.  The grass had gotten quite high and the pavement had a whole
host of cracks.  If the farmer had been a bit friendlier, I would have
asked if he would mind me cutting it and using it for karting practice,
but I knew he would just tell me to get the h*** out...

One of the drawing points of the track during its heyday was that
Virginia State police could not get into it, so the drinking age, 18 at
the time, could not be effectively enforced since access was via NC only.
 I've spoken to a few people who raced on the track, and a surprising
number said that it was their absolute favorite circuit in the US, bar
none.  Too bad that for all practical purposes, its gone.  If anyone gets
in to take another look at it, post a note.  I'd love to hear another's
more recent impression.

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@mail.co.albemarle.va.us