Re: Engine modernization / TR6 Pistons & Rods

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine modernization / TR6 Pistons & Rods
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 11:26:55 PST
Jim, you got me all confused.  If you are running well prepped factory
crank and rods, where's the modernization that lets you run 3000+ miles
on a race motor?  Other than the synthetic oil, what's modern?  Never
mind the pistons, hot pistons have basically always been part of racing.
If it's true that power is made in the combustion chamber, then the
bottom end is merely there to hold the motor together to deliver that
power.  Unless I missed something, you haven't really modernized the
bottom end.  The Alfa bottom end is well known for being pretty much
bullet proof if you don't screw it up.  Is it just the oil that gets
you bearing longevity?

One should also note that for the 1950's, the Alfa DOHC 4 was years
ahead of its time.  You have 5 main bearings in a 4 cylinder motor, 2
overhead cams with vernier adjustable sprockets, replaceable liners that
can make a block last forever if you don't destroy it, and a cross flow
head with stock dual Webers.  A lot of the other motors in vintage
racing are much more pedestrian designs with unlined iron blocks with
only 3 mains, pushrods, and single carbs.  They're the ones that benefit
so greatly from modern technology.  In an Alfa motor, it would seem all
the secrets for power and reliability are in preparation, not parts. (I
do know of an Alfa race motor with Cosworth pistons, but again, the rest
is just very well prepped factory parts.)

Maybe it was hot pistons that started this discussion, but it broadened
to include Carillo or Titanium rods, billet cranks, Titanium valves,
etc.  What would you consider too modern for vintage racing?  I can see
steel alloys, even stainless for reliability, but Titanium technology
was top secret Lockheed Skunk Works stuff back in the 50's and 60's.
Roller cams and rockers are a definite no-no for pushrod motors in most
clubs.  Where do YOU draw the line?