RE: one off????

To: Mordy Dunst <mordyd@msn.com>
Subject: RE: one off????
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:40:15 +0000 (GMT)
I'm affraid that I think David Laver is right with his explanation of "one
off".

When doing assembley drawings during the design process, the parts on teh
drawing are numbered (say 1 to 100). A list (parts list) is produced which
is formatted

Number        Part number      No Off      Description
  1           18B-42359          1         Cylinder Head casting
  2           865-134            4         Inlet Valves

etc

The No Off refers to the number to be made "off" the individual part
drawing (refered to by the part number).

At least this is what I teach our Mechanical Engineering degree
students!!!

Geraint

PS AS for "frame off", I had never heard of it until it was mentioned on
this list. Must mean Body Off, since it is very dificult to take the frame
(read chassis) off a car without taking it entirely to bits.