Re: Which race club to join ?

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Subject: Re: Which race club to join ?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:29:00 -0500
The real difference between clubs is, as Tom has intimated below, whether
they are a race-oriented club, or a car oriented club.  The race guys, like
HSR, tend to emphasis fun through racing and find a home for just about
anything that shows up.  People who like to develop cars potentials, and
like to run rather more modified cars, tend to find a home here.

Car guys like to see very authentic cars, like Bugeye sprites with 948cc
engines and Lotus 7's with drum brakes, and while they enjoy their racing
tend to be exclusionary towards people who like to add car development to
their racing experience.

They're both right - but tensions can run high when you want to go one way
and your club is going the other!

Cheers

Brian Evans (who has bought a new car so that he can stay friends with his
car guy buddies in VARAC)(My '61 Midget with 1275cc engine and wide tires is
still for sale...)

>>What I would like to know is which vintage race organization should I
>>join, SVRA or VSCCA ?
>>I would like to hear varying comments on either org. , pros and cons,
>>number of events, rules, etc.
>>

>The only point of reference I can give you is that a friend of mine tried to
>race with the SVRA once in Atlanta. His Bugeye had no windshield and had a
>1275. They wanted to make him run with the Cobras, Mustabgs, etc. Basically
>they just didn't want him to race.

Brian Evans
Director, ISP Marketing
UUNET Canada Inc.