Re: Which race club to join ?

To: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Which race club to join ?
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 05:29:44 -0800
Brinkmann, Gerry wrote:

> I have been racing for close on 10 years now - originally did some races
> with the SCCA in a MG Midget and have for the last 6 years campaigned a
> VW GTI on the pro-rally circuit. I am looking to supplement my pro-rally
> calendar with some vintage racing to fill in the gaps during the
> pro-rally season.
>
> This year I hope to start racing with some form of vintage race
> association. I hope to do about 3 races this year and am looking at the
> following events:
>
> Lime Rock Weekend during Labor day weekend
> The Watkins Glen event during September
> Something in the May time frame - I think there is one at Pocono
>
> I already have my car ready, I am installing a slightly breathed on
>  engine over the next couple of weeks and the gearbox is currently being
> stripped to change some components. So essentially the car is ready.
>
> What I would like to know is which vintage race organization should I
> join, SVRA or VSCCA ?
> I would like to hear varying comments on either org. , pros and cons,
> number of events, rules, etc.
> .. snip ...

Gerry:

As a thumbnail sketch, SVRA will want the car to be original in its
configuration to the racing specifications to the year of manufacture.
They are very serious about this area (which I, personally, applaud).
HSR, on the other hand, has a class for the car - regardless of its
configuration (you could run a Buick V6 in it)!  Both organizations put
on first-rate, well organized events.  Unfortunately, I have no
first-hand knowledge of VSCCA.

The Florida Vintage SCCA program is much like SVRA in its vehicle
requirements, except that no racing history is required and we all run
together in a single group (smaller than the other organizing bodies).
Our philosophy, requirements, etc. are available from my web page at
http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/ and can be reviewed at any time.  Many
of our latest newsletters and schedules are published there as well.

This is the other area which you should address - driver attitude.
Vintage racing is not an area to be used to "tune-up" for Pro Rallying!
It is a far more relaxed and "gentlemanly" form of motorsport where
competitors respect each other and each other's cars more than the
finishing position.  You might want to give this some thought as well.

Good luck in your endeavor - hope to see you at the track some day!

*8o)
John A. Rollins, Vintage Race Coordinator
Florida Region, SCCA