a spin on the physics

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: a spin on the physics
From: elan26@hctc.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:09:11 -0700
>Rather than spend any more bandwidth on this....>

Before we stop, I'd like to put my two cents worth in.  I've been reading
the 'spin physics' thread with a great deal of interest. And a good thing, too.

This past weekend I had my first spin. The front straight at SIR (Seattle)
has concrete on either side and a layer of drag-racing grease (don't they
all?). Well, it was wet and though I was being really really careful, I must
have hit something slick because all of a sudden I was looking behind myself
without my rear view mirror. And through my mind ran the whole 'spin
physics' thread in infinite detail. (honest! well, some of it, anyway)

I looped four times and didn't hit the wall.  It could have been because I
put both feet in and kept them there. (thank you for that part of the
thread) or it could have been because when I started to spin I was just far
enough off to not have been carried all the way.  But personally, I think it
was an obscure fact that has been missed so far in this thread. And that is,
when you spin, you must start a quiet but continuous chant of, "not the wall
- not the wall - not the wall"

Worked for me.

ginger