Steamboat Springs Report/Update

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Steamboat Springs Report/Update
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:46:02 -0400
Steamboat Update....
Days 1 & 2...getting here.
No problems, but a long drive from the Bay Area!   Day one from the Bay Area
to Wendover, NV.  Only California is a pain with its ridiculous 55 MPH speed
limit for towing. :-(  Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming were all 75 MPH!!  :-)

Day 2  took us through Salt Lake City and we decided on the upper route on
I-80 to avoid a slower Route 40.  The I-84 option eliminates the major grade
out of Salt Lake although a lot of construction slowed it a little, and its
slightly longer.  But overall a preferred route.

Beautiful scenerey, although much of California, all of Nevada, and most of
Utah was covered with haze from the many forest and wildfires burning.  We
actually saw several massive brush fires with no one attempting to put them
out.  A local in Nevada said lightning strikes started 40 new fires in one
night!!

Arrived at Steamboat around 6:45PM on Wednesday.  The course is starting to
take shape, and racers beginning to arrive. This morning we'll go set up in
the limited paddock and meet our neighbors.

More later....
Myles H. Kitchen
Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128