Re: Racing organization info wanted

To: GROSS@unit.com (Jarrid Gross)
Subject: Re: Racing organization info wanted
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:05:17 PDT
Jarrid Gross wrote:

>      I am in southern California and have spent some time up at Willow
> Springs at club sponsered "racing clinic" sessions.  I feel comfortable with
> my car now, and feel it is time to move into competition.
>
>      I've heard horror stories about the safety requirements for vintage
> racing, and if I've heard correctly,  I can not  qualify for VARA sanctioned
> racing without some major coin.

Horror stories?  From whom?  If VARA is the club you want to race with,
get one of their tech inspectors to go over your car.  It may not be as
bad as you think.  A few quality beers may be all it takes to "lure" one
of these guys over to your place.  ;=) Some clubs actually charge for
this service.  If you want VARA info, contact cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG,
AKA Casey Annis.

>      I currently own a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine that is rather well prepped for
> road racing.  Equipment consists of a roll bar, fire extinguisher DOT
> approved autocross tires and a  polypropylene fuel cell.  I have a single
> circuit master cylinder and mostly an otherwise stock car.

How is the roll bar attached?  Does it have a longitudinal (F/R) brace,
possibly removable?  Could you add one?  Does the bar clear your helmet?

>      Am I incorrect in assuming that I dont currently qualify for VARA
> racing, and if so are there other less stringent organizations that I can
> hook up with for an occational speed fix?
>
> How about SCCA?

Actually, the SCCA is one of the most strict in terms of safety
requirements.  With many vintage clubs, there are a lot of safety items
that fall into the "advisory" category.  An SFI rated suit, and a Snell
SA rated helmet are generally required.  Not having these will set you
back some greens.  Your car may not be as far from qualifying as you
think.