Re: bushings

To: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: bushings
From: "Jeff Young" <jey@frame.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:24:33 -0800
I believe all bushings should have an inner (metal) race.  The reasoning goes
something like this: you don't want the bolt rotating in the frame (it wears
out the holes, if nothing else).  The only way to do that is to clamp it down.
 To do that, you need the inner race to clamp it against.  (Incidentally, I
think the bolt is also less likely to break when slightly stretched.)

So, the bolt clamps the frame to the inner race.  Some of the shear load is
taken by the friction of the race-to-frame joint, some by the bolt.  The
bushing (and the suspension arm) roates around the inner race.

-- Jeff.