Re: bushings

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bushings
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:17:50 -500
Glenn Mapes writes:

> On a Sprite, what is the best way to insert off-set nylatron bushings in the
> A-frames?
> they seem to go in crooked and are impossible to mount to the frame

Hmm, I'm about to do the same thing. Sounds like the bushings may be a hair
too big (You don't want them loose tho!) They should press in reasonably
easily. I have a small press, but that doesn't help a lot if they don't fit
right. If they're that tight, they may need a hair more removed on a lathe.

> almost impossible to move the A-frame.

The A-arms should move- if the bushings are distorted a lot, or the angles are
off, the bolts will bind. The moving surface should be bolt-to-bushing. The
rubber bushings have a steel sleeve, which can be fitted in the plastic
bushings if desired. (Probably requiring more lathe work.) Remember: Always
anti-seize the bolt & bushing contact area.

Here's a question: does Smith, or anyone else offer a hard rule as to whether
poly bushings should, or should not have steel sleeves, as the rubber bushing
have? Seems they'd be good for reducing wear.

Who's bushings are you using- mine are coming from Moss, I think they're from
one of the English suppliers.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."