Pittsburgh Grand Prix

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Pittsburgh Grand Prix
From: "Lance Kennelty" <LMK2@oss.cis.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:38:43 EST5EDT
This should be sub-titled:

Hot enough to broil a monkey's bum, your Majesty!  (Monty Python
"Bruce" sketch)

I hope everyone who was driving in the event has re-hydrated by now.
It was very hot for us corner workers out in the  sun, but I can't
imagine how nasty it would have been in a suit and helmet sitting
near a hot exhaust manifold!

It was another great event.  A few minor incidents but everyone
stayed safe.

The exhibition with the Healeys was fun to watch, but in my opinion
too dangerous.  They had a couple cars that weren't race cars...
i.e. no roll-over bar or proper belts that they left out on course
for the "Exhibition race".  One of the drivers had a passenger with
him!  (No helmet on the passenger.)  Yikes!  Us SCCA corner folks
didn't like that at all, but control said it was O.K. since it was an
exhibition.

The pre-war SS Jaguar was beautiful!  (It was for sale too. But, I
decided to take my 1/4 million and buy a couple houses instead.) :-)

Dick Scott (local hero) didn't get his Lola sorted out and hence
didn't get the lap record.  That was a shame.  Green 112 (Lotus) was
great to watch.  I had some friends down by the hay bales at the
chicane that said he was really flying down the straight.  I was on
station 17, one turn before the descending hairpins.

It was a good weekend. To those of you who attended: Thank you from all of us
here in Pittsburgh
for bringing your cars and making the event a success.  I'll be
sending a post later on to let everyone know how much we were able to
raise for our charity the Autism Society.

later,

Lance

Lance M. Kennelty
Systems Analyst
Office Systems Services
Computing and Information Services
University of Pittsburgh
419F Bellfield Hall
Pittsburgh PA 15261

EMAIL:  LMK2+@PITT.EDU
PHONE:  (412) 624-2977

"Why do the British drink warm beer?  Because they have Lucas refrigerators."