tvr

Re: Vixen trunions

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vixen trunions
From: Rolf Beuttenmuller <rolf@star.inst.bnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 07:53:46 -0400

>  --
>  Rolf Beuttenmuller >>
>
> Rolf-
>
> I see no one has replied with a "definitive" answer, so without any "proper"
> answer (or any real knowlege), i'll jump right in with an <<Opinion.>>
>
> The real question of left/right comes down to castor angle. The top of the
> upright should be as far to the rear of the car as possible (note that the
> upper ball joint attachment hole is not centered in the upper a-arm, but
> rather slightly offset to the rear of the car. If yours is not, you have
> additional parts needs.) The trunnions should be slightly angled to accomodate
> this "off-centered" attachment. Install them so that they point the upright as
> far to the rear as possible. Also note that many trunnions have a nifty big
> "R" or "L" cast in them, making it even easier to look like a pro.
>
> So much for the easy stuff...bring on the LOGIC (pretzel or otherwise.)
> It would seem to me that you would want the car to rise on the side that is
> being loaded in a turn in order to help maintain a flatter cornering angle
> (roll.) In other words, when making a left turn, the right side of the car
> should rise (due to the threads in the trunnion) in an effort to stabilize the
> roll of the car. So, if we can accept that theory, the right side of the car
> should have the right handed threads and the left side of the car, the left
> handed threads.
>
> That's my story, and I'm stickin to it...
>        Nick in Nor Cal

Hi Nick
Thanks for the response. To my logic I think the same way you do that the right
side of the car ( passenger side) should have the right hand thread. What
troubles
me is that my car had two right handers after I replaced the one on the right
side. that tells me it used to be a left hand thread.
As far as the upper a frames go there is only about a .100 inch offset in them
when measured on a surface plate with a height gauge.
I will call Lenny Renkenberger in Maryland (Autosport-Coachworks ) today and get
his input. He has put a great number of TVR's together.

--
Rolf Beuttenmuller
1970 Vixen S2