tvr

Re: Vixen trunions

To: rolf@star.inst.bnl.gov, tvr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vixen trunions
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:34:40 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/98 6:40:26 PM !!!First Boot!!!, rolf@star.inst.bnl.gov
writes:

<<
 I need a little guidance putting my 1970 Vixen S2 chassis back together.
 Which side does the left handed trunion go on.? Some say the lefthand
 thread goes on the passenger side. That doesn't make any sense to me.
 Can any one give me a difinitive answere. I snapped a trunion years ago
 and have been driving with two right handers for about 10 years. I can't
 seem to remember which side I snapped,( I think it was the right side
 but am not sure)

 --
 Rolf Beuttenmuller >>

Rolf-

I see no one has replied with a "definitive" answer, so without any "proper"
answer (or any real knowlege), i'll jump right in with an <<Opinion.>>

The real question of left/right comes down to castor angle. The top of the
upright should be as far to the rear of the car as possible (note that the
upper ball joint attachment hole is not centered in the upper a-arm, but
rather slightly offset to the rear of the car. If yours is not, you have
additional parts needs.) The trunnions should be slightly angled to accomodate
this "off-centered" attachment. Install them so that they point the upright as
far to the rear as possible. Also note that many trunnions have a nifty big
"R" or "L" cast in them, making it even easier to look like a pro.

So much for the easy stuff...bring on the LOGIC (pretzel or otherwise.)
It would seem to me that you would want the car to rise on the side that is
being loaded in a turn in order to help maintain a flatter cornering angle
(roll.) In other words, when making a left turn, the right side of the car
should rise (due to the threads in the trunnion) in an effort to stabilize the
roll of the car. So, if we can accept that theory, the right side of the car
should have the right handed threads and the left side of the car, the left
handed threads.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it...
       Nick in Nor Cal