tvr

Re: OD tranny

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, tvr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD tranny
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:15:04 EDT

<<Dear all:

 A regional brit-car mechanic informs me that he has an OD unit that can be
 attached to the existing 4 speed tranny on my '71 2500 (TR6 engined car).
 I believe he said that the only additional part I'd need would be the
 motion shaft.  I am not sufficiently familiar with these units, in fact,
 I'm downright dull-witted when it comes to transmissions.  Any advice on
 this matter would be greatly appreciated.  I know these units are VERY
 rare, and I also know from experience that the OD is a sweet thing to have
 on highway trips.  Is there any net-wisdom on this?  Is adding the OD unit
 as simple as it sounds?  Wouldn't I need a different prop. shaft too??
 What sort of price might I expect for this (I didn't ask at the time)?

 cheers,
 Will Zehring
 '71 2500 (on the road by ????)

 Will & other Trevoristi (?)-

To put the od on your trans, you'll need the output shaft (3rd motion shaft),
the adapter plate and a coupla bucks worth of wire and a switch. After that it
gets tricky...
There are at least 4 different 3rd motion shafts that come to mind
immediately. Be sure that the one you are getting will fit your box/1st motion
shaft. The later all synchro box shafts are longer and there at least 2
different sizes of bearing size at the very front where it fits into the 1st
motion shaft. If you don't have a match, you're out-o-luck. The adapter plate
must be for the type of od you're fitting (either a or j type). Don't worry
about the small headed attachment bolts (regular heads will not fit) as they
should be tossed in all cases. The factory bolts require a torque setting of
about 15 foot pounds and the bolts stretch forever at about sixteen pounds !!!
Fit socket head bolts and drill them for safety wire and they will last
forever (and stop the dreaded leak between the trans body and adaptor
plate...)
The trans must be completely dissassembled, so you might as well do bearings
and synchros while you're in there. The original driveshaft will work fine as
it has a sliding front piece that will compensate for any differences.
The big question is why...With a 3.45 diff gear in your car the engine is not
exactly overstressed, and in top od you probably cannot pull any additional
speed as the engine won't be able to pull such a high gear in stock form, and
who in their right mind ever bought a TVR for gas mileage???? If you're doing
it for weirdness/bragging rights, go for it. Otherwise, why bother.

Just another OPINION brought ot you by...
        Nick in Nor Cal