tvr

Re: V8

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, tvr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V8
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:29:51 EST

<<
 Dear all:

 Is the V8 engine in the Sumbeam Tiger of the same lineage as the V8s used
 in the TVR Griffiths?

 Will Zehring

Will-

OK, never being a shy one...I'll jump right in here. Remember, you get what
you pay for...

Basically, yes. That said, there are a few differences. The biggest is
displacement. Most of the Tigers were 260's (the rare mk2 had a 289, oddly by
the time they put the 289 in, Chrysler owned them ...must have hurt for Mopar
to have to buy Ford engines to sell the car...). The Griff never had the 260
motor, always a 289 (a few later cars (Tuscans) had the 302)). I've even seen
literature with pictures of what is labeled as either a Griifith 400 or
Griffith 600 (different ads, but same car) with a Chrysler 273 in it. Anybody
ever seen one in person ?
Anyway, back to the motors, there are a few differences like the water pumps,
5 bolt vs 6 bolt bellhousings, non-interchangeable heads (major cc
differences)and some minor interior casting changes. Probably a few others
that I haven't recalled. Don't believe you can bore a 260 out to a 289 either
as the 260 was a bored 221 and the castings are too thin to go out to a 289
size (remember they coined the "thin wall" casting nomenclature), and gon't
even try puttin 260 heads on a 289...can you say "ultra high" compression ?

What's the real question ? Are you lookin to put a v8 in your 2500 ?

Inquiring minds, and all that...
      Nick in Nor Cal