Re: [TR] WTB a TR-3

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] WTB a TR-3
From: Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 20:05:49 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--047d7bf10ab8d83e2b0528c90791

As far as I can tell, all(?) TR3Bs had full-synchro gearboxes.  Also,
AFAIK, early-series TSF-cars had 83mm pistons & liners and the later-series
of TCF cars had 86mm as more TR4 bits made it into the line (such as front
brakes, too).

TR3Bs may have had fewer cars produced than any other sidescreen series,
but I'd say they're far from the rarest.  There's a surprisingly high
survival rate of these late cars -- as the two mentioned in this thread
illustrate.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > The fully synchro box is a nice upgrade............
>
> Agreed, but it's an easy retrofit to the earlier cars.  And unless they
> put the car up on a lift, not likely to be spotted by a
> concours judge.
>
> > I can't feel the difference in what is supposedly a 10% power
> > bump
>
> What 10% power bump?  From what I've read, many if not most of the later
> 3As were delivered with the "optional" 86mm liners instead
> of 83mm (and 83mm remained an option for the TR4 & 4A).  According to the
> last edition of Practical Hints, the 86mm TR3(A) engine
> (which is indicated as being standard) was rated 105 bhp @ 4750 rpm; while
> the 83mm engine was rated 100bhp (same as given in
> earlier versions of PH).  The TR4 owner's manual gives 100 bhp @ 4600 rpm
> (presumably for 86mm), so the specified power actually
> dropped.
>
> The drop in power rating was probably just due to "truth in advertising"
> laws; but might possibly have been related to the slight
> change in combustion chamber shape, which lowered the compression ratio
> slightly.  I'm not certain that happened at TR4
> introduction; but the TR3 SPC I have shows a different part number for the
> 86mm head than the TR4 SPC does, leading me to believe
> there was some difference.
>
> Randall
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/don.hiscock@gmail.com

--047d7bf10ab8d83e2b0528c90791

xes.=C2=A0 Also, AFAIK, early-series TSF-cars had 83mm pistons &amp; liners=
 and the later-series of TCF cars had 86mm as more TR4 bits made it into th=
ewer cars produced than any other sidescreen series, but I&#39;d say they&#=
39;re far from the rarest.=C2=A0 There&#39;s a surprisingly high survival r=
ate of these late cars -- as the two mentioned in this thread illustrate.</=
ss=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:=
25 PM, Randall <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com"=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D""><br>
&gt; The fully synchro box is a nice upgrade............<br>
 unless they put the car up on a lift, not likely to be spotted by a<br>
concours judge.<br>
&gt; I can&#39;t feel the difference in what is supposedly a 10% power<br>
&gt; bump<br>
 of the later 3As were delivered with the &quot;optional&quot; 86mm liners =
instead<br>
of 83mm (and 83mm remained an option for the TR4 &amp; 4A).=C2=A0 According=
 to the last edition of Practical Hints, the 86mm TR3(A) engine<br>
(which is indicated as being standard) was rated 105 bhp @ 4750 rpm; while =
the 83mm engine was rated 100bhp (same as given in<br>
earlier versions of PH).=C2=A0 The TR4 owner&#39;s manual gives 100 bhp @ 4=
600 rpm (presumably for 86mm), so the specified power actually<br>
dropped.<br>
The drop in power rating was probably just due to &quot;truth in advertisin=
g&quot; laws; but might possibly have been related to the slight<br>
change in combustion chamber shape, which lowered the compression ratio sli=
ghtly.=C2=A0 I&#39;m not certain that happened at TR4<br>
introduction; but the TR3 SPC I have shows a different part number for the =
86mm head than the TR4 SPC does, leading me to believe<br>
there was some difference.<br>
Randall<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> *=
*<br>