Re: [TR] Concours Question - Lucas PL700 or P700 Headlamps for

To: jheff123@msn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Concours Question - Lucas PL700 or P700 Headlamps for
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 9/27/2010 3:16:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jheff123@msn.com writes:

Listers:
I recently purchased a 1960 TR3A.  I was thinking  about changing the
headlamps
to Lucas PL700 or P700's.  As I want to  keep the car pretty original, I am
wondering if and how Lucas PL700 or P700  headlamps are considered in
concours
judging within VTR or TRA  rules?

Thanks
John
1960 TR3A

John,
I put forth your question to the TRA forum.  This was one of the  comments
put forth by John Warfield, TRA President and Concours Guru at both  TRA &
VTR:

We used the F700 sealed beam from the onset (in various styles); PL's
while very nice, and available during sidescreen production,  would have to be
considered an accessory, or more accurately, a 'period  upgrade'. What saves
them from deduction in TRA, as opposed to say, a Le Mans  style gas cap, is
that they are considered expendable items, like  batteries or tyres.

VTR takes a similar approach and would not deduct for period style
headlamps of any brand.

Cheers,
Darrell
VTR Chief Judge