Re: [TR] Daily Telegraph - TR4 Buyers guide

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Daily Telegraph - TR4 Buyers guide
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:07:39 -0700
> I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, however, I understood that the
> 2,3,4, motor was originally used in the Vanguard and then adapted for use
> in
> the Ferguson tractor.

Pretty close.  My understanding was that it was intended from the outset to
be a multi-purpose engine design; and was adapted for several applications
including the Vanguard (it's first usage), the TR2-4 (and variants like the
Italia and Morgan), and of course Ferguson tractors.

But there were substantial differences between the variations; the tractor
version in particular even had a different cylinder block casting.  Not
quite the "same" motor.  If memory serves, the Vanguard version only made 68
bhp; the Ferguson version even less than that.

-- Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net