Re: [TR] GT6 Transmission

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 Transmission
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
Same observed:
> The gearbox is noisy in 1-3 and quiet in fourth.? It also
> can't be rushed into 2nd or it will bark the synchro.? It
> downshifts just fine which is puzzling.

Ah, they all end up making noise and acting strange in one way or another.
Which is not to say that you shouldn't investigate when you get the chance.
Just remember, it is a GT, not a dragster nor a roadster.

There is one more thing you should be aware of if you plan to start swapping
GT6 and Spitfire transmissions.  The factory played games with the GT6 diff
ratio.  In the US a GT6 with overdrive came with a lower diff, i.e. a higher
number.  The premise was that you didn't need the higher gearing of the OD
after all, so they gave you lower overall gearing.  European GT6's came with
the same (higher geared) diff whether it had OD or not.  Of course you can use
whichever combination you like, but you'll need to swap in the correct
speedometer gearing too.  And of course the driveshaft will be different for
the OD.  On a later Spitfire the rear engine mount is different too; I don't
know about the GT6 because I've never installed OD in one.
--
Jim Muller

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net