Re: [TR] polarization issue

To: Tr3bob@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] polarization issue
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:52:24 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/2007 7:10:09 PM Central Daylight Time, Tr3bob@aol.com
writes:
> Could I have somehow unpolarized the generator by inadvertently  touching
> the
> field and power connections on the back side of the generator as I  swung
> the
> wrench? I did notice a bare spot on the field wire and these  connectors are
>
> very close to the swing of a wrench when removing the banjo bolt  on the
> front
> carb.
>
> I've already ordered a new regulator as the generator checks out OK, but
> wondering if it is necessary...the regulator is only 4 years old. Could you
>
> please repeat instructions to repolarize if this is the case...I stupidly
> discarded the original. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I  change
> out the
> regulator?

I don't hink you could have unpolarized the generator with your wrench unless
it struck the generator with phenominal speed or some other impossible
scenario.  But repolarizing it is simple: remove the wire from the field
terminal on
the generator, using a piece of wire or a jumper test lead momentarily
connect the generator field to the batter hot terminal (this works either
Positive
or negative ground), then reconnect the wire to the field terminal.

Cheers

Dave