[TR] re-using timing chain gear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] re-using timing chain gear
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
I use to work as a bicycle mech. & still do at times.
I have found that it's best to replace the sprockets &
chain together at the same time, as Randall has
stated. If you replaced JUST the chain, then the NEW
chain would 'skip' on the warn out sprocket(s), but
not on the sprockets that weren't worn. Now if you
replaced JUST the worn sprockets on the Freewheel
Cluster, then the chain would not 'skip', but cause
the chain to 'wear-down' faster to causing it to skip
again, when it was worn out.

Going on that info., I was going to change both Cam &
Crank Sprockets with the Timing Chain & Tensor when I
rebuilt my engine back when...  When I went to order
these items, I was told by a person that has been
working on these engines for over 50 yr., not to get
the sprockets because the 'old sprockets' were made
better than the new now day ones. {May be because my
'old sprockets' were never used more than 5 yr.} I've
had no problems with this set up for the past 7 yr.,
from when I started using this arrangement.

So go figure it out on what is best.

-Cosmo Kramer

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.

===     http://www.vtr.org