RE: [TR] re-using timing chain gear

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] re-using timing chain gear
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:06:37 -0700
> I'm planning to change the chains, but I would like to reuse the good
> sprockets.    Is this advisable or should I change the whole lot?  As
> mentioned the gears have only done about 7k miles.

Sujit,

I guess it depends on how certain you are that the other sprockets are good,
and have no wear whatsoever.  I have always heard that timing chain
sprockets should always be changed with the chain, because they wear to
match each other.  If only one side is changed, the new will quickly wear to
match the old.

If it were my car, I'd be replacing all the sprockets; and testing the new
ones for hardness.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org