Re: [TR] manifold studs

To: Tom Note <tom628@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] manifold studs
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:47:06 -0500
On Monday 08 January 2007 06:34 pm, Tom Note wrote:
> I'm installing Richard Good's triple ZS maniflod on our '76 TR6, and I like
> to replace hardware wherever possible. When I removed the existing
> manifolds, some of the studs stayed in the head, while 3 others (3/8-24)
> came out with the nuts. I tried to remove the nut from one of the studs,
> but stopped before I ruined the stud. Ideally, I'd like to remove and
> replace all the studs in the head. Is that feasible with out special tools?
> If so, should new studs be installed with red Locktite into the head, and
> anti-sieze on the external threads? --Or should I just leave well enough
> alone , and put everything back the way it came out?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Tom,

I would replace the stud where the nut would not come off. The studs that are
still in the head should be fine. I used anti-seize on both sides of the stud
on my TR4 project. I would rather have the stud come off the head vs.
breaking a stud. It is a real bear getting a broken stud out of a cast iron
head unless the head is off the engine.

As Randall says, always use new lock washers and new nuts if you can get them.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org