Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans

To: lists02@canleyworks.com, dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:10:34 EST
In a message dated 1/8/2007 1:00:25 PM Central Standard Time,
lists02@canleyworks.com writes:
> I wonder whether this might be a good place to use one
> of the high-tech adhesives that have been discussed
> here recently? Tack weld the floorpan to the sill as
> original, then use adhesive to bond the upper edge to
> the sill.

I watched a video in a Chrysler booth showing how the minivans are put
together.  A robot applies a bead of adhesive (other sources say they use Fuzor
polyurethane sealer that is available through the usual auto paint supplies).
Then a robot positions two panels together while another robot spotwelds the
panels.  The spotwelds hold the panels together while the adhesive sets up.
The
polyurethane is a very strong adheasive and with a full length seam it is
probably stronger than the steel.

Heck, I considered replacing my own floors using steel pop rivets and this
adhesive.  But due to time restraints I wound up hiring it done.

I have used it as a seam sealer and it is tough.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org