Re: [TR] New Year's Day

To: rgt2 <rgt2@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] New Year's Day
From: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:58:31 -0500
Had a little problem a month or so ago and have not had time to fix
properly. Car lost power and presumed it was due to a faulty coil - very hot
coil at time of power loss. Threw a new coil on it and got it home.  Took it
out once later had a long drive and it died again about 1 mile from house -
nursed it home....  Fast forward to yesterday.

Removed the duct taped coil from the fender well and installed properly. Did
not run well - just like when I put it up. Not spark, must be fuel -  Had a
half tank of gas, looked further and the float bowl had a discernable line
halfway across. Sure enough dumped a half a float bowl of water out of the
fuel pump. Discourgaing - I was sure I looked for this before. Primed the
fuel pump and did not see water.

Cranked right up. Great day so I went for it and it promptly died about 200
yards from the house. Dumped the float bowl (even though it did not look
like it had any water) and it ran! (in hindsight maybe it was 100%
water.....)

Made little loops back and forth to the house - each time a little longer.
And then went for the big one!   A trip to Home Depot and Wallmart for
whatever christmas lights they had left over! Yeah Baby!!!!

Lost power and died again halfway there. Dumped the fuel bowl again - still
no sign of water like the last time. Beautiful day made it easy to make the
decision to press ahead vs turning around. Took a lot of priming to fill the
bowl - how many strokes should it take to fill an empty bowl - I guessing
less than the 20 or more I did.....

Stopped by auto zone and bought two bottles of isopopl alcohol to dry out
any remaining gas. Stopped at a different gas station than the last one and
topped up the tank with hi test.

No problems at all. And got a bunch of lights to complete my beer commercial
worthty christmas decorations for next year.

It was a great ride about 45 minutes each way.  At its favorite spot, the
car died 200 yards from my house. After a few minutes it fired right up and
roared right back to the house.

All in all -  another great day with my Triumph!!!!

Chris

63 TR4 - sulking in the garage
54 TR2 - mocking the balky 4

===     http://www.vtr.org