Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car

To: "William Brewer" <bbrewer@tvwireless.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:55:40 -0600
>      Anyway, I have noticed that some cars that I have never  considered
> before are starting to look better and get into my  affordability range.
> Specifically the Mercedes 230SLK, the Jaguar  XK8, the Porsche Boxster &
> Acura NSX. I have been hoping that the  Lotus Elise prices would begin
> dropping, but that is not the case  yet. Some of the Aston Martin DB7's
> are getting lower, but not low  enough yet.
>      Anyone else on the list having the same mental tug of war?
>
>      Bill Brewer

Bill:

I, too, got the bug after reading a Peter Egan "Side Glances" column in R&T
about a year and a half ago.  He pointed out that for $25k, the price range
for many decent LBCs, you could buy an XK8 that had a nav system, CD player,
cruise etc.  I had a Taurus that I needed to get rid of (surplus to
requirements), so i traded it on a 2000 XK8 convertible with 45k miles.  I
love it!  However, I still consider my 3A the "collector car" and, while I
will keep the XK8 for the forseeable future (its the only one of the two
that I can actually drive, in that the 3A is in the early stages of
restoration), I don't see it in my life forever, like I do the 3A.  So, my
advice is go for it.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A and 2000 Jag XK8
Plainfield, IL