Re: [TR] headlamp choce?

To: mtgaines@mail.presby.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] headlamp choce?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:16:26 EST
In a message dated 11/6/2006 12:17:48 AM Central Standard Time,
mtgaines@mail.presby.edu writes:
> I just blew a headlamp, so now I am considering what I'll replace it
> (them) with.  The halogen options are tempting me.  Is night visibility
> that much better than the old sealed beams?  Are there any
> disadvantages other than price?  Thanks for any light you can shed on
> the issue?

If you are still using standard headlamps switching to sealed beam halogens
will make a significant difference.  They give the most bang for the buck and
use the same amount of current so you won't overtax the electrical system.
They are cheap (usually about $12 each), available at most all autoparts stores
as well as many hardware stores so they win on both price and convenience.

The Hella, Cibie' and other such lamps with separate bulbs can be
problematic.  I once bought a set of cheap Chinese knockoffs from J.C. Whatnow?
and even
with 100 W bulbs they did a poorer job of lighting the road than the sealed
beam halogen's I installed as replacements.  But a good set of brand name lamps
are the best for the job.  But watch the reflectors.  Since these are not
sealed the silver reflector surface can deteriorate and then the light
projection
system becomes dysfunctional.  It will become a 50W indicator light.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org