Re: [TR] alternator problem 74 TR6

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] alternator problem 74 TR6
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@onwight.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:31:24 +0100
Hi Keith
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Ehrlich"
Subject: [TR] alternator problem 74 TR6

> Folks-

> I removed the alternator plug, started the car and put the multimeter on
> the live terminal of the alternator and it read somewhere around 17
> volts output. That seems to mean its putting out plenty of electricity.

Supposed to be very bad for an alternator to run without a battery, it
senses a black hole to try to charge or something like that.

> I plugged it back in and let the car idle for about 20 minutes. I put
> the multimeter on the battery with the engine running every 5 minutes or
> so and there was no discernable drop in voltage ( it read between 11.95
> and 11.93 volts). I would think idling the car this long on battery
> would kill the battery-and this one has to be at least 8 years old.
> Anyone have any ideas before I have it towed home? I've been through the
> TR6 Electrical Manual and all it says to me is if the ignition light is
> on, then its not charging.

I drove my Herald for over an hour, maybe nearer two with headlights on and
the warning light on full brightness before the road was too indistinct in
the orange glow, I think the battery would have gone further, I ran out of
bottle in the dark! Car had been converted to alternator for ages, the
alternator was from one of my previous cars and OLD!
So I think 20 mins is well within the scope of a battery that recently
stopped being charged.

Graham.