Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, pethier@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:52:41 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2006 10:07:10 AM Central Standard Time,
jrherrera90@hotmail.com writes:
> >If you don't mind burnt fingers, you bet.  But draining it cold only
> >requires
> >more time and you can pull the plug and go watch the game and enjoy your
> >unburnt fingers wrapped around that beer can.
> >
> >Dave
>
> Dunno about car engine manufacturers, but, for what it's worth, aircraft
> engine manufacturers recommend draining the oil while hot. Maybe it is
> holding the dirt in suspension and allows it to drain. But this is pure
> conjecture on my part.
>
> Besides, the cold beer mug will make the burnt fingers feel better.

Do aircraft engines use high detergent, multigrade oil like cars do?

The difference between draining hot or cold is the difference between getting
99% of the old oil out vs 99.44%.  If I was running a Jiffy Lub I'd want the
oil drained when hot.  Time is money, after all.  But for those of us who
change our own oil we can plan alternate chores whilst the oil is draining.

And the beer tastes better without the burnt fingers.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org