Re: [TR] Draining TR6...

To: paul@cynthesys.co.za, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Draining TR6...
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:00:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/2006 3:54:08 AM Central Standard Time,
paul@cynthesys.co.za writes:
> ..and it is draining my energies. In my continuing efforts to get the car
> back to fell fettle before the South African summer arrives, I have been
> fixing the clutch, as you may remember. I finally found time to reinstall
> the tunnel and other interior bits today, but discovered another problem
> after a test drive. I have a water leak somewhere around the water pump.
> This looks like it ought to be very easy to remove for inspection, with
> unusually accessible bolts. Problem is, the book says to drain the system
> first, which is fine as I want to flush it out anyway. Trouble is, I can't
> see a good way of getting at the drain plug without removing a lot of other
> bits. Am I missing something? Is it possible to drain it without removing
> that plug?

That tap on the side of the block is likely blocked anyway.  What most of us
do is pull the bottom radiator hose to drain the head and radiator and then
stick a pan under the front of the engine and pop the water pump off.  with any
luck most of the resulting gusher will be caught by the pan.  Do this over
some absorbent like cardboard or cat litter to soak up the rest.

Good luck

Dave
71 TR6
St. Louis, MO USA