Re: [TR] TR3 vs TrR4's experience

To: Tim OBrien <obrienboys@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 vs TrR4's experience
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:12:43 -0600
Tim OBrien wrote:

>Absolutely not worth disputing.  The TR3s will always be worth more, enjoy
>more status, etc.

But, that's not actual experiential difference. That's retention of
value as an antique. Having driven both, I'd say that the additional
track on the TR4 is an advantage, and once a little extra caster was
added to the front end, the TR4 became a more stable car at speed.
There's a lot more room to work in the engine compartment, as well, a
big advantage over the TR3 for people doing their own work. Compare, for
example, the time and effort to do a radiator exchange or starter R&R.

>It's been well documented that that TR4 was considered a 'stop gap' type of
>car from a development standpoint.

I wonder about your "well documented"  sources on this.  Triumph paid
Michelotti to do the design work, paid for retooling to the wider frame
and axle to match, bit the cost bullet for roll-up windows and an
all-synchro transmission, added rack & pinion steering and used the TR4
to bridge to IRS with the 4A.  The body shell and doors closely resemble
that of the TR6 (the differences are in the wings, bonnet and boot lid
sheet metal).  Those things, along with the run time (seven years),
suggests that Triumph intended it not to be a "stopgap" model, but,
rather, a distinctly newer car than the 3A.

Now, I would agree that the TR250/TR5 was a stopgap model--there were
issues of timing to market regarding design/body tooling for the TR6,
along with cost issues with PI, meeting emissions requirements, etc.,
that made that model temporary--it made good business sense at the time
to put the TR6 drivetrain into the 4A, given the circumstances.

But, that's simply not the case with the TR4/4A. If you look at other
model runs post-war, the 4/4A series was plenty long, almost as long as
the TR6, and just about as long as the 3/3A/3B.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

===     http://www.vtr.org