[TR] Unidentified LBC - 1948 Healey Sportsmobile

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Unidentified LBC - 1948 Healey Sportsmobile
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:09:58 +0100
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, at around 01:28:45 local time, ZinkZ10C@aol.com
wrote:

>Wow, I'd say we have a winner.  The flat screen, hood shut line, side body
>line look the same.
>
>The drawing has what looks to be semaphore turn signals in the doors, what
>was the last year these were used ( if ever ) ?

Well into the 1950s, I'm sure.  The first Morris Minors had
trafficators.

>  The mystery of the plate #
>still stands, we need to determine if this was a factory picture or a
>art students
>work.

I think I might try to contact the Healey Owners' Club.   Given that
only 23 of these cars were ever made, it is possible that they might
have a record of GVB 24.   My gut feeling is that this is a real
registration number for a real car.

>I'd still like to hear what Classic and Sports Car has to say.  They seem to
>have good connections to the old car world and are staffed by real enthusiasts
>rather than disinterested writers.  If they are soon to do a piece on this
>car, a original drawing would make for a more interesting article.

I have raised the question via their website, and am awaiting a response
(which I will feed back here when it arrives).   I take your point about
this picture adding something to a possible future article.   In fact,
I'm now in a bit of a quandary as to what to do with it.   My original
plan was based on the assumption that it was of a mass-produced car, and
I expected to stick it up on eBay.   If it had been a common car, an
eBay auction would have allowed large numbers of owners who wanted
original artwork to bid on it.   As it is, I suspect there may only be a
tiny handful of the cars surviving - or maybe just the one - and I would
like to make sure that their owners (its owner?) had first option on the
painting.   If I can't find a Sportsmobile owner, I suppose the next
best place for this would be a Healey Museum.   Is there one?

>How did everyone come up with their guesses?  While looking for the magazine
>address, I came across a road test of the Singer that sort of looked the same.

I found the guesses fascinating - particularly the fact that most of
them suggested much later cars (which must say something good about
Healey design).   I was hugely impressed by all those people who
suggested various Healeys: being able to spot a house design style
whilst being unaware of the specific car in question shows a remarkable
understanding and appreciation of automotive design.

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org