RE: [TR] Fuel Pump Pressure Test

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Fuel Pump Pressure Test
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:19:02 -0700
> But with
> the electric pump and regulator, I get no reading at all on the vacuum
> gauge. I tried adjusting the set screw on the regulator and still no
> reading. If I hook up the vacuum gauge directly to the fuel line (with no
> "T"), I get a reading but obviously the car won't run very long that way.

Either the regulator is screwing things up (lots of people have reported
problems with this configuration); or the float valves in the carbs are
stuck open.  I posted information about a pressure regulator recall some
years ago ... anyone got it handy ?  Seems to me they were made by
Purolator, but sold under many brand names.

> But then I got to thinking, does the car have to be running to check the
> fuel pressure? Can I just hook it up directly to the fuel line, turn the
> pump on and check it without the engine running? Any risk of damaging the
> pump if the gas is terminating at the gauge and not really flowing?

Not a problem with the little "clicker" Facet pump.  There are some pumps
that require a constant flow of fuel, but they are mostly "race-only" pumps
that must be plumbed with a bypass anyway (since they require more flow than
an idling engine consumes, and you have to start it sometime).

> BTW......if you leave the key on with the engine off, the pump
> pushes a lot
> of gas through the carbs, out the throttle bushing, out the vent
> hole, on to
> the floor very quickly...

This makes the stuck float valve scenario most likely.  Obviously (I hope)
that should not happen, even with fuel pressure all the time.  Fix your
carbs first, and then proceed to the fuel supply issue.

And if you put Grose jets in them, throw the #@& things away and put real
float valves in there !

>. I'm still working out the OPS wiring issue with
> the pump shutting off if the engine stops.

While this is a good idea, it should not be necessary for normal operation.
The float valves MUST be able to hold back the full pressure delivered to
the carbs, or you are going to have no end of trouble getting it to idle
properly (not to mention gross pollution from the tailpipe).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org