RE: [TR] Another electrical question: TR3A gear

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Another electrical question: TR3A gear
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:01:04 -0700
> I can take the heavy cable that WAS the second post of the solenoid, and
> move it to share the same solenoid post with the battery cable,
> and attach
> the other end of that cable to the big post on the gear reduction starter.
>
> Then, I take a 12 or 14 gauge wire, run it from the old (now
> vacant) second
> post, to the spade on the gear reduction starter.
>
> The white with red wire from the starter push switch to the spade on the
> solenoid, remains unchanged?

That's right, Terry.  Except that the new wire doesn't need to be that
heavy, 16 or even 18 AWG would do.  This wire (and the original solenoid)
now only carry current for the new solenoid, which as I recall I measured at
about 7 amps on the starter I got from TRF.

> If I have this right, I like it!  You're right.  It would seem to
> shut the
> current out of the solenoid directly to the new starter built for it.

You're right, I forgot to mention that before.  By unloading the contacts in
the original solenoid, it should last much longer.   Might be just because
it was "tired", but I could measure the voltage drop across my old solenoid
too, so my configuration should deliver just a little bit more to the new
starter.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org