RE: [TR] Another electrical question: TR3A gear

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Another electrical question: TR3A gear
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:03:22 -0700
> When I bought the gear reduction starter (negative ground) from TRF, Dave
> mentioned to run a wire from the battery post to the connecter that is, I
> think he said, on the solenoid.  But that's where the starter button wire
> goes.  Meanwhile, there's nothing attached to the little spade connector on
> the starter itself.
>
> Am I missing something...other than grey cells?

There are several ways to wire the gear reduction starter, but they all include
something connected to that spade connector.

I wanted to keep the original "push button" solenoid functional, and also wanted
to relieve the original starter push-button of having to handle the much higher
current of the new solenoid that is integrated with the starter.  So, I moved
the old heavy starter lead to the other solenoid terminal (the same terminal
that is fed from the battery), and connected it to the big bolt on the new
starter.  Then I fabricated a new wire from the now vacant terminal of the old
solenoid to the spade connector on the new solenoid (the one integrated with the
gear drive starter).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org