[TR] TR6: alternate tire sizes

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6: alternate tire sizes
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:36:18 -0700 (PDT)
I'm currently looking at Yokohama AVS 205/65/15 VR rated tires for my TR6 to
put on the original steel rims.  Tire Rack's website shows that they have a
diameter of 25.5".   If I remember correctly, stock Michelin redlines are about
26.5" tall (is that right?).  So, these would be about 1" lower than the
redlines if my figures are right.  I've also lowered the car about 1" with
goodpart springs.  I would be tempted to go with the same Yokohama tire in a
215/65/15 (it is 26" diameter) but am a little worried about clearance.  I have
the tube shock conversion on the rear which I'm afraid may eat up some
clearance.  Thoughts on that?  Anybody have experiences with tire clearance on
the tube conversion?  (It is not the through body conversion, it is the more
common one.)

  Alternatively, does anybody have other good recommendations for a sticky
performance tire that will fit on the stock steel rims.  I want something that
will corner reasonably well in auto-x/gymkhana without going to the Panasports
(not in the budget yet)

  Thanks,
  Greg H

starting at 1"/min.