RE: [TR] TR4A fuel pump fittings

To: "Jeremy Kinney" <kinneyjr@msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4A fuel pump fittings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:40:03 -0700
> My next dilemma concerns the line fittings at the fuel pump.  The DPO used
> non-standard fittings that leak.  I ordered new stainless lines and fittings
> from Classic Tube.  When I tighten the fittings up there is play in the fuel
> line (it can be rocked up and down at the fuel pump).  The tubes and
> fittings came with brass compression sleeves.  Are they supposed to go
> between the flared end of the tube and the fitting to make everything
> tighten up?  I thought I would ask before cranking away.
>
> The illustrations in the parts manual are not that clear.  There is a
> "bubble" between the end of the line and the fitting that might be a flare
> or a compression sleeve.  My understanding is that the orginal fittings are
> different than what are available today.

The original fittings had straight (not flared) line with compression sleeves.
The compression sleeves were shaped differently than those commonly available
today, effectively making them longer.  The outlet fitting also had a special
nut, designed to install 1/4" od line into a 5/16" fitting.

My solution was to turn a custom nut on the lathe for the outlet, with a longer
straight section at the tip to make up for the shorter compression sleeve.
Since the inlet nut was still in good condition, I just took off the last
thread, so it could go deeper into the pump casting.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org