[TR] Adjustable wheel split Column

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:23:53 -0400
Hello, everyone.

I called one of the Big Three recently, because I needed the bushing that goes
into the top of the steering column.  Moss part number 520--050 is felt for
all, but number 525-020 is rubber/nylon, listed as for only split column.

The parts person I spoke with told me on the phone that the nylon bushing
would not fit a TR3A because TR3A's didn't come with split columns.  She
checked with someone else to be sure.

My '59 TR3A TS 58667 is a split column, and adjustable to boot.  Seems stock,
so I'm a bit confused.

Two questions:

1)  It seems that the nylon bushing would be better than a felt bushing in the
top of the column.  But if for some reason it doesn't fit, do you oil the felt
version (which I'll just fabricate at home) when you put it in?

2)  I have this fabulous Motolita wood wheel with an adaptor that accepts my
adjustable control head.  (Love this thing!)  Does one still use the chrome
shroud, retainer and washer with the Motolita aftermarket item?  Or are these
spare parts I'll be getting rid of along with the rest of the leftovers in a
couple of months?

===     http://www.vtr.org