Re: [TR] Failing Fuel Pump??

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Failing Fuel Pump??
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:23:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/2006 4:04:14 PM Central Standard Time,
75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:
> If you all think the pump is bad or going bad, I'll probably go to an
> electric pump so here's the next batch of questions:

There are a couple of other possibilities that can cause the same symptoms.
A blockage in the fuel line can restrict a perfectly good pump's ability to
pull gas from the carb but allow the filter to fill up slowly over time.  A
blockage in the tank vent line to the charcoal canister will cause the tank
pressure to go negative enough that the pump cannot overcome it.

Another possibility is vapour lock.

Checking for the tank vent blockage is easy.  When the car stalls and the
filter is empty open the filler cap.  If you get a huge rush of air and even
oil
canning of the tank then that is most likely your problem.

Checking for a restriction in the fuel line will require disconnecting the
fuel line.  Back flushing the line with compressed air can push any foreign
object back into the tank only to find its way into the fuel line again so
disconnect the other end before you do that.  This, of course, means draining
the
tank.

An electric fuel pump located near the tank will do a very good job of
reducing (eliminating) vapour lock.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3